It all started in November of 1817 when a meeting was held to discuss the forming of a Baptist Church in White Oak Flats, Gatlinburg’s former name. In June of 1837, our church was officially pronounced a constituted church. In July of 1932, the White Oak Flats Baptist Church became the Gatlinburg Baptist Church, which later became the name we call it now: First Baptist Church of Gatlinburg. In 1937, our church celebrated 100 years of progress — we’d grown to be a church that provided educational facilities for 535, with a beautiful sanctuary seating 584.
In 1991, we completed a new church facility, which is where Gatlinburg and locals can join us in worship today. Our building is built on 10 acres of land on Highway 321 on Oglewood Lane. We are proud to now offer plenty of educational space, and more room for seating and parking.
Our traditions still remain the same, though — ministering to the mountain community that surrounds us and the world that comes to our door.